Skip to main content

In the Mirror

     The day before Thanksgiving this year, I finished the "AC" portion of my chemo treatment plan.  The drugs are known as one of the most potent things ever made, and I finished it, but it wasn't without awful endurances.  In the picture below, Adriamycin is in the large red syringe, my nurse in a Hazmat suit as he slowly injects it into my bloodstream over 15 minutes.  I'm staring intently but my mind would relive this and instantly make my stomach turn, it also made eating and drinking things that are red like jello, Gatorade and popsicles impossible.  My mind was affected as much as my body which endured typical things like puking, diarrhea, fatigue, staring off in space, headaches, mouth sores, loss of appetite, and dry mouth. My friend who recently went through Cancer, told me Doctors can tell you about the process, but know one can you prepare you for the Emotion Shit that you must endure. 

    The chemo literature highly suggests to use your own bathroom for the first 48 hours after infusion as your system flushes out chemo, avoid young children, stay in calm locations and not get sick.  So my wife and I thought it would be best for me to move into what she calls it my "Habitat" set up in our finished basement where I could get away from the children, chill out, throw-up comfortably in my own bathroom, etc.  I sleep on a twin bed (it makes washing sheets quicker) complete with a new "Alexi" who plays repeating calm ocean sounds for me nightly, a green mini fridge stocked with water, jello and adjourned on the outside with a page from my "Fuck Cancer" coloring book given to me from my work colleagues.  It all sounds like a party, but when the lights are off and I lay motionless to me Cancer is a lonely thing, it is not in my family and friends. 
    At night, I frequently enter my bathroom with my eyes looking downward and brush my teeth with my eyes closed so not to stare in the mirror at myself.  The nights, I've stared, my body stares back, my scalp bare of hair, my port incision in my chest, my left nipple crumbled with blood and crust and discolored skin.  So I choose not to look in the mirror, this is one of the emotional shit of cancer.  I told my Oncology Social Worker my experiences, she softly reminded me at night our cancer bodies are tired from the day and looking in the mirror is every ounce as hard.  She asked me to stare at myself in the mirror in the morning and be positive, stay something nice to myself.  Positivity is not lonely in cancer, it's abundant, echoed through your doctors, family and friends through good reports, signs, coloring books, cards and just plain hugs.  A co-worker came up to me last week and said "It's a much better place when you are here at work, great to see you."  Positivity is all around you, don't give up HammerOn!   
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All of the Above

    All of the Above - how my cancer grew out of control in a short period of time and how I'm aggressively back in chemo and radiation to regain control.        July 2023, I stated to develop a wheeze in my breathing and then by mid July a cough and on July 18, 2023 I had my routine follow up scans (CT and Bone Scan).   First off, bone scan showed no additional new growth and a stable T4 from previous Feb 2021 cancer, so that was a win.  CT unfortunately showed a new large tumor in right lung with several new tumors growing in between lung sacks.  Left - March 2023 of right lung  Right - July 2023 of right lung     The image on the right is pretty telling as the  new large tumor was at the base of my lung surrounding the wind pipe which was likely causing my symptoms.  There was also a medium plural effusion at the base of my lung.  These together were starting to press the air space of my lung.  My oncologist and I decided to stop my current cancer oral meds of Verzino and begin

ONJ

     ONJ  - What is ONJ -  Osteonecrosis of the jaw is a condition where  the jawbone is exposed and not covered by gums..... and that is what I had.  Um ok, what?        So this all started back in the beginning of April of 2022 when I ate some starburst candy and a few days later, started feeling pain in my lower left jaw area.  At first, I went to my family dentist, the normal found some cavities in the area and filled them.  However, the pain still was there, in the same area, but below my left jaw, a dull pain.  So I went again for a checkup and dentist said well you might need a root canal (in which they didn't do... but dentists in the 90s used to.... whatever).  That lead me to another dentist who did root canals and they took an pano image of my jaw, in which I commented, "I am a Stage 4 Cancer patient, how does that work with what your are doing" and I got a deer in the headlights look from the Dentist, my confidence fell at this point.  Another $600 and was tol

3 Sentences

            Sunday, February 07. 2021 - Super Bowl Sunday, I went to the ER for a pain in my right lower abdomen under my rib cage, thinking I might have a pulmonary embolism.  So to check that out, I underwent a CT (scan #1) of my chest and top abdomen and ultrasound (scan #2) to rule out PE or gallbladder.  After a couple of hours, I got the results: no PE and nothing wrong with the gallbladder.  What I got instead was three sentences on a discharge document:     ER Report 02-07-21  Impression "3 Sentences"   Osseous metastatic disease with new T5 vertebral body lesion demonstrating epidural tumor extension. New lung nodules consistent with metastatic disease. Small right pleural effusion. Nodularity along the major fissure.  Findings concerning for malignant effusion , What followed was a TIDAL WAVE of EMOTION - WHAT? - YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME.  After several choice cuss words and a few hours of not being able to comprehend these 3 sentences, I sat down and wrote an ema