Skip to main content

Day 133

    Day 133 - Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - Number of days from Infusion 1 to Infusion 20.  Like one of my favorite EDM songs by No Mana called "Over and Over" - that has been the pattern of my life for 133 days, a pattern of repeated tasks every week to put my body through chemotherapy treatment.  I've grown to live with it you might say.  It's the first part of treatment, the first hurdle, 20 side affects long including death.  It all fell into my lap - I walked out of Infusion for the last time, hugged my nurses and I couldn't hold anything back, my eyes flowing with tears.  Tears of celebration that I just accomplished this and tears of this struggle with life and treatment all at the same time.  What kept me going?  All of it and especially People.  Prayers and the shear gratitude of others, the internal will to fight on, to Hammer On.  The other moments, all equally important; 384 miles of driving trips from home, 40 vitals, 17 blood lab tests, 20 infusions, 6 scans MRI, PET, CT, Xray, Echo just to name a few, pains, laughing, sleepless nights, mediations, etc.  But it was really the people that formed my Cancer Team that I'm going to celebrate from my memories of Chemo.  Like how I was born a Sibley and Edwin who draws my blood has been there for 40 plus years and knew my delivery doctor.  How Marissa pointed out that if I fill my mouth with ice during AC treatments, it decreases the chance of mouth sores.  Or how I showed Elana how easy it was to hook up Nintendo to the Oncology TVs in the patient rooms and Alexus helping me muffle the call station in a pillow so the Nintendo wouldn't be so loud, Alex said, "well we have never had anyone hook up a gaming system before, I love it."  Countless wellness talks with Jackie, learning about micro losses, and how hard energy takes a hit, and helping me in the darkest days feel like bright sunshine.  Extra water, warm blankets, pillows are just pushing the Benadryl last so I could play a little more Nintendo before falling asleep, all the little touches that go a long way.

By the Numbers:

AC - 2 months October and November
T - 3 months December, January, February

Day 133 - Done

Day 134 begins the next stage, "the in between" leading up to Surgery.

Entrance to Medical Oncology - Last Day

Day 1 - First Day of Chemo
Day 133 - Last Day of Chemo

Last Chemo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All of the Above

    All of the Above - how my cancer grew out of control in a short period of time and how I'm aggressively back in chemo and radiation to regain control.        July 2023, I stated to develop a wheeze in my breathing and then by mid July a cough and on July 18, 2023 I had my routine follow up scans (CT and Bone Scan).   First off, bone scan showed no additional new growth and a stable T4 from previous Feb 2021 cancer, so that was a win.  CT unfortunately showed a new large tumor in right lung with several new tumors growing in between lung sacks.  Left - March 2023 of right lung  Right - July 2023 of right lung     The image on the right is pretty telling as the  new large tumor was at the base of my lung surrounding the wind pipe which was likely causing my symptoms.  There was also a medium plural effusion at the base of my lung.  These together were starting to press the air space of my lung.  My oncologist and I decided to stop my current cancer oral meds of Verzino and begin

ONJ

     ONJ  - What is ONJ -  Osteonecrosis of the jaw is a condition where  the jawbone is exposed and not covered by gums..... and that is what I had.  Um ok, what?        So this all started back in the beginning of April of 2022 when I ate some starburst candy and a few days later, started feeling pain in my lower left jaw area.  At first, I went to my family dentist, the normal found some cavities in the area and filled them.  However, the pain still was there, in the same area, but below my left jaw, a dull pain.  So I went again for a checkup and dentist said well you might need a root canal (in which they didn't do... but dentists in the 90s used to.... whatever).  That lead me to another dentist who did root canals and they took an pano image of my jaw, in which I commented, "I am a Stage 4 Cancer patient, how does that work with what your are doing" and I got a deer in the headlights look from the Dentist, my confidence fell at this point.  Another $600 and was tol

3 Sentences

            Sunday, February 07. 2021 - Super Bowl Sunday, I went to the ER for a pain in my right lower abdomen under my rib cage, thinking I might have a pulmonary embolism.  So to check that out, I underwent a CT (scan #1) of my chest and top abdomen and ultrasound (scan #2) to rule out PE or gallbladder.  After a couple of hours, I got the results: no PE and nothing wrong with the gallbladder.  What I got instead was three sentences on a discharge document:     ER Report 02-07-21  Impression "3 Sentences"   Osseous metastatic disease with new T5 vertebral body lesion demonstrating epidural tumor extension. New lung nodules consistent with metastatic disease. Small right pleural effusion. Nodularity along the major fissure.  Findings concerning for malignant effusion , What followed was a TIDAL WAVE of EMOTION - WHAT? - YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME.  After several choice cuss words and a few hours of not being able to comprehend these 3 sentences, I sat down and wrote an ema