Skip to main content

HammerOn - The Story

    I wrote back in November 2018 about my battle slogan, "HammerOn."  I was actually in the process of repairing my fence in Arlington in late summer of 2018 when I was diagnosed with cancer.  Working on the fence helped me take my mind off the diagnosis, combined with my childhood memories of rebuilding fences with my Dad, really got the idea into my head from beyond board and nails to a work ethic instilled in me to keep getting up and hammering on.  The symbolism of the HammerOn logo was cemented when one month into chemotherapy my cousin Andrew brought me two hammers, a ball peen hammer belonging to our grandfather and a framing hammer belonging to his dad which were used to hammer on metal and wood.  I instantly felt connected to the hammers, through the spirt of my Dad and Andrew's Dad whom both died of cancer. 
My backyard fence at time of diagnosis - Aug/Sep 2018 
     My cancer experience while positive was emotionally difficult, in fact I didn't think I would still be alive post surgery so I didn't pursue brining the HammerOn idea for others to fruition.  That all changed when I woke from surgery, actually yelling out to the doctors, "I'm not going to die from this shit!" Post surgery I began ramping up design the HammerOn logo and idea language.  I first had to build the shape of the framing and ball peen hammers in Adobe Illustrator to get scalable vectors, then I could start rotating the hammers to follow the sketch I had made in chemotherapy treatment.  I went through a couple of different versions of the heart in the middle, but I stuck the main idea which was to form a heart from the hammer's head and have a heartbeat.  I wanted the hammers to be blue in color representing men with the pink heart representing women who will be diagnosed with breast cancer every year. 

    The first product I wanted to make was a ball cap, to help cover up my lost hair and allow me to broadcast cancer awareness.  I made the hat through a company called CustomInk and chose the hat's fabric because it was soft and moisture wicking, great for the summer heat and hot flashes.  I loved that the logo was stitched onto the hat and I was super excited when I got my first hat!  In fact, they looked so great that I thought I could start selling them to hospital gift shops... Sibley Hospital Gift Shop purchased a bunch!  I designed a fold out card tag about my story that is attached to the hat.  Check out #HammerOnCancer on Instagram. 
Stitching proof, front of the hat
HammerOn Cancer Hat - introduced June 11, 2019
    I returned with my cousin Andrew to visit the house in Capitol Hill in Washington, DC where the ball peen hammer originated from, and even tho the Parkers haven't lived there in over 30 years, we both felt a connection. 
Andrew and I with our HammerOn Cancer hats in Capitol Hill
    In late June, post treatment I returned to the fence that had gone a full year laying up against the garage waiting to be fixed.  As I now wore my "HammerOn Cancer" hat I begun working away on the fence main gate.  While things took me twice as long, slowly the main gate took shape and I accomplished the goal.  I want to think that this fence was some kind of metaphor for me and through this fence I rebuilt myself.  
My backyard fence main gate - complete post treatment June 2019


Comments

  1. I'm also very interested in product hammer. If you don't mind, please visit my site regarding hand tools.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All of the Above

    All of the Above - how my cancer grew out of control in a short period of time and how I'm aggressively back in chemo and radiation to regain control.        July 2023, I stated to develop a wheeze in my breathing and then by mid July a cough and on July 18, 2023 I had my routine follow up scans (CT and Bone Scan).   First off, bone scan showed no additional new growth and a stable T4 from previous Feb 2021 cancer, so that was a win.  CT unfortunately showed a new large tumor in right lung with several new tumors growing in between lung sacks.  Left - March 2023 of right lung  Right - July 2023 of right lung     The image on the right is pretty telling as the  new large tumor was at the base of my lung surrounding the wind pipe which was likely causing my symptoms.  There was also a medium plural effusion at the base of my lung.  These together were starting to press the air space of my lung.  My oncologist and I decided to stop my current cancer oral meds of Verzino and begin

ONJ

     ONJ  - What is ONJ -  Osteonecrosis of the jaw is a condition where  the jawbone is exposed and not covered by gums..... and that is what I had.  Um ok, what?        So this all started back in the beginning of April of 2022 when I ate some starburst candy and a few days later, started feeling pain in my lower left jaw area.  At first, I went to my family dentist, the normal found some cavities in the area and filled them.  However, the pain still was there, in the same area, but below my left jaw, a dull pain.  So I went again for a checkup and dentist said well you might need a root canal (in which they didn't do... but dentists in the 90s used to.... whatever).  That lead me to another dentist who did root canals and they took an pano image of my jaw, in which I commented, "I am a Stage 4 Cancer patient, how does that work with what your are doing" and I got a deer in the headlights look from the Dentist, my confidence fell at this point.  Another $600 and was tol

3 Sentences

            Sunday, February 07. 2021 - Super Bowl Sunday, I went to the ER for a pain in my right lower abdomen under my rib cage, thinking I might have a pulmonary embolism.  So to check that out, I underwent a CT (scan #1) of my chest and top abdomen and ultrasound (scan #2) to rule out PE or gallbladder.  After a couple of hours, I got the results: no PE and nothing wrong with the gallbladder.  What I got instead was three sentences on a discharge document:     ER Report 02-07-21  Impression "3 Sentences"   Osseous metastatic disease with new T5 vertebral body lesion demonstrating epidural tumor extension. New lung nodules consistent with metastatic disease. Small right pleural effusion. Nodularity along the major fissure.  Findings concerning for malignant effusion , What followed was a TIDAL WAVE of EMOTION - WHAT? - YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME.  After several choice cuss words and a few hours of not being able to comprehend these 3 sentences, I sat down and wrote an ema